Hem and Haw refuse to leave their station, desperately hoping their cheese will one day come back.
Plenty of other articles have extolled the benefits of LinkedIn as a tool to develop meaningful business relationships, and there is plenty of research that quantifies the value LinkedIn offers so for the sake of brevity let’s focus rather on what we can learn from IBM.
What does this mean for you?
- Before I wrote this article, I went (totally at random) to ten profiles of salespeople in various roles. Every single one spoke about what they do, the skills have they have (hardworking, passionate about sales, experienced account manager and accomplished negotiators.) Not one described the value they delivered to customers.
- Although LinkedIn has a profile section that allows you to posts, articles, links and media, this was not activated with all ten accounts. In fact only two had posted anything.
- Only three had more than 500 accounts.
According to LinkedIn research, Social selling leaders create 45% more sales opportunities. If your company is not making full use of this incredible tool, you are missing out. And unless you invest in one of the Premium products, it is totally free.
- as a sales and marketing tool and not for job-hunting. Start with anyone who is a sales role and extend from there.
- : Most LinkedIn training spends the majority of the time working on profiles. They are tricky to write and well worth the investment in getting a specialist to write them for you.
- : Salespeople need to spend their time prospecting, understanding needs and following up. Build a team from marketing, sales leadership and sales that can build value-based campaigns and other resources required. Make these resources available in a central location and build a publishing plan to be followed. This ensures consistency.
- : You are now free to train your sales team (and later others in the company) on how to use LinkedIn to generate new opportunities. Because you already have the profile written and well designed resources, you spend the time on how to use the tool for maximum impact.
To thank you for making it to the end of this article, I would like to make an offer. At the Sales Institute we have developed an easy to use template on how to write an effective LinkedIn profile. Send me an email email@example.com, or leave me a message on LinkedIn and I will gladly send you the template as well as a video explaining it step by step.
I like forward to sharing my passion for this remarkable tool with you.